Psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by an abnormal lack of empathy combined with strongly amoral conduct, masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal.
“When you encounter one, they will at first seem overly cooperative and friendly towards you. Meanwhile, they are sizing you up, noting every detail; your physical, intellectual and moral capabilities, while trying to lull you into a false sense of security…”
Interesting Facts and Statistics
- Experts estimate the only 1% of the population is truly psychopathic.
- Psychopaths are seven times more likely than other criminals to commit stranger murders; twice as likely to commit other stranger crimes.
- Between 15-25% of all prisoners are psychopaths.
- Psychopathic characteristics can be seen in childhood.
- Age of onset for children with high psychopathy is 12 years old for violent crimes; 9 years old for nonviolent crimes.
- About half of all psychopaths reduce criminal activity by the age of 35-40 years old.
- Psychopaths will seem cooperative and friendly – making detection difficult.